Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 39: Where the hell have I been

None of your business. Actually, that leg thing was worse than I thought, and ended up with a couple of interesting days, indeed. The leg went partially numb, very tingly, and now appears to be mostly back. We have determined that the cause is a rare condition known as "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Withdrawals," and can only be treated by doing BJJ, or becoming the kind of person who does not do BJJ at all. A week of BJJ has not helped the tingling in my lower leg, but I feel much, much better. It could be how much time I have spent choking Matt out, but whatever it is, I am glad to be back in the game.

As for the challenge:

Day 34: AKA, this game is stupid.

Crosfit total (added together, best back squat, shoulder press, dead lift)
I failed miserably. I did not realize how weak my leg was, threw a perfectly reasonable weight on the bar for my first attempt, and could not get up without assistance. There was a little confusion at the bottom, but I should not have failed the weight either way. I got down, and somebody said down (which is what most people say when you have REACHED the bottom), and I understood it as "go deeper." I have developed an irritating habit up barking "up" when somebody is all the way down, but everybody else, I now know, says "down." Oops. So I squatted until my butt cheeks -isn't that a funny term- touched my calves (moo, moo). I stayed there. I figured this was an aberration caused by an excess of cheek to calfness, so I put a few more pounds on and failed again. #3 I tried with way less weight, and called for my mommy at the bottom. I was inwardly, well, maybe a little outwardly, furious at my inability to get very little weight up. I may have said "fuck" and stalked around a little, but this is conjecture. There was no use in going on with the total, and I decided that crossfit and all excercise sucked, and that I would just let myself get soft again.

Day 35: Self imposed rest day.

The site called for 1 mile run, 2k row, 1 mile run. I decided to go to the magical mystery rower location with Petra, Scott and Black ops Mary, and at least help mark off a one mile run for them, and act as support. I thought while I was there, I might as well row the 2k, just nice and easy. 8:25 was the time, which it turns out, is not nice and easy. I saw a tire in there and thought "oh, I have never flipped a tire before." So I rolled it into the gym, and flipped it back and forth 50 times. Some rest day. Team America tore that workout a new asshole, and I was much impressed with all of their performances.

Day 36: Petra's and my 7th anniversary. We have been together for a little over ten years, but married for 7 now, so we had a couple drinks and went to sushi. Around midnight I vomited violently for the first time in many years. That sucked, and Petra lay awake the rest of the night wondering when her time would come, but it never did. Happy anniversary, baby!

Day 37: Rest

Day 38: Back in the shit full time, leg be damned.

5 muscle ups (box behind, toe assist), 10 cleans (115#), 220 meter run.

I tried to kill myself on this one, and damn near did it. 20:49, if you don't count the few minutes of spitting up and dry heaving at the end. It was raining, and we were bad asses (in our minds).

Day 39: Karen (150 20# wallballs for time) 14:46

This gets really hard, really fast. Matt and I tried the new, fluffy 20# balls, while Scott did his first 100 with our old, sand-filled 25 pounders. Matt and I went to Jiu Jitsu, and were promptly required to do 100 crunches and a push up wheelbarrow race across the mat. Sadists.

All in all, I am glad to be back in the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment