Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 29: Pull Bitch!

Leg issues (that I did not complain about in association with my suck ass 5k time, but now seem to be alluding to, or outright mentioning, really) persist. Couldn't do snatches, so I substituted this for today's wod:

100 pull ups for time: 16:45

The others did 21-15-9 Squat snatches/Pull ups

The first 45 pull ups sucked. The ones after that were worse. The fellowship is restored, for now, after Matt and Mary's week-long vacation, and while taking a full 20 minutes or so to get moving, all members were very motivational.

You see, this crowd is not really the scream-like-a-crazy-idiot-and-they'll-get-the-weight-up crowd, but more of a combination of prodding, coaching, gentle motivating, and passive aggressive workout design. A good mix, indeed. Mary and Scott are motivators of great power, but few words. Matt coaches by keeping you on your toes. When you ask for input on what weight to use, one day he says "let's choose that weight carefully, so you get the most out of this," while other times he just looks at you and asks whether you've read the damned wod or not. This keeps you fired up, or at least too confused to focus on the pain. Petra has a non-threatening, but powerful style. When she says "you can do it, you're doing great," what I hear is "I like when you kiss me like that." It is just like I am doing everything right, but more of the same, please.

I was happy to see today that I could do 100 pull ups in a workout. Not in a row, of course -who could hang from the bar for 16 + minutes, after all- but I did get a couple shots if 10, a bunch of 8 in a row, and only one large, but not very deep flapper.

It was a good day, much better than yesterday. Also, it's good to have the family back.

2 comments: