Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 57: Feels like home

Tonight was my blue belt test for Jiu Jitsu. The test went well, and I spent far less time under the blanket than I thought. I was the skinniest little monkey at the test, and this can be a bit strenuous. We started off by rolling to warm up, and one of us rolled with the professor, while the others rolled with one another. This went on for a full half hour, and half hour of that can get your breath pumping. After that, we each were asked for our go-to escapes and submissions from each position. The professor asked us to explain thoroughly (didn't anybody warn him about me?) as we showed him our moves. I found myself talking a bit more than the others, but that is just because it is me. I used to be really uncomfortable with the fact that I speak almost without pause, but at one point about 6 years ago I learned to deal with it. I would say things like "I will not talk so much starting tomorrow!" It never worked, so I finally gave up and started liking myself. Anyway, I explained thoroughly, and it seemed to go well. I did a little over three hours of BJJ this day, and it felt like I was right where I should be on a regular basis, just rolling for the sheer joy of it. I am looking forward to a blue belt, though.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Rob. "the skinniest little monkey at the test" made me laugh.

    I also appreciate your comments about trying to get comfortable with your natural communication style, which for you may be talking a lot. I was just talking to Matt last night about how I communicate with others (in my school program and at work) and wondering, "what if my natural style doesn't work in a group?"

    Anyhow, interesting stuff. I hope that blue belt comes soon!

    ReplyDelete